POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Q: Splines in SuperPatch : Re: Q: Splines in SuperPatch Server Time
2 Sep 2024 22:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Q: Splines in SuperPatch
From: Ron Parker
Date: 12 May 1999 10:33:14
Message: <3739831a.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 May 1999 12:53:28 +0200, ingo wrote:
>The method (scene below) in use seems to work, but there is one problem:
>abs(POS(I/Steps).x)>1 works fine, but abs(POS(I/Steps).z)>1 gives the error:
>"Bad operands for period operator". What does it mean? How to get around this?

This might be a bug.  I'll have to check it at home where the superpatch source
code is and see what's going on. In the meantime, it might work if you do
#declare foo=POS(I/Steps) and then use abs(foo.z).

>The floats, in front of the points of the spline, are not absolut clear to me.
>What is their influence? I normaly keep them evenly spread along the spline. (Is
>there more documentation and what is the original location of this part of the
>patch? PatchStation seems to be out of running lately)

http://pandora.inf.uni-jena.de/pframe.phtml/e/noo/povsp/povsp.inc is Wolfgang
Ortmann's page for the spline patch.  It includes the same documentation that
has been included with the superpatch (though I rewrote it slightly) and there
is a small tutorial as well.  The code, however, is for POV version 3.01.