POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : SMP : Re: SMP Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMP
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 12 May 1999 08:51:42
Message: <37396BA1.F9F6DBED@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Mark Gordon wrote:

> Rikard Bosnjakovic wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > Is POV available with SMP-support? I've got dual pII350 and would like
> > to maximize the use of the cpu's while rendering :)
>
> POV-Ray was not written to support threading (remember, it derives from
> DKB-Trace which started on the Amiga in the early '90's).  At this
> point, the best you can do is to run multiple instances of POV-Ray (one
> doing the top of the image and the other doing the bottom) and let the
> OS handle load distribution across multiple CPU's.  This is, I'll
> confess, inconvenient and inefficient in its use of memory.  PVMPOV does
> some of this more transparently, but it hasn't yet been updated to
> support for POV-Ray 3.1 features.
>
> --
> Mark Gordon
> mtg### [at] povrayorg

Hi,
I just wanted to correct something, as I have just learned yesterday,
Thomas van der Veen is at the works on PVMPov based on POV3.1. There is
currently 'at least' one bug. But I guess, things will be here and there
eventually.
I just note, as this happens to appear every week, and none of those
involved cleared up by now.

Axel