POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer : Re: Programmer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmer
From: Alain CULOS
Date: 13 May 1999 17:43:00
Message: <3737664F.CD7C8BFF@bigfoot.com>
Steve wrote:

> You should be aware that of the 3 major programming environments, one dropped
> Pascal a while back and the second announced yesterday that it is dropping Pascal.
> Pascal is a fine language, but it appears that it's future is now frozen. Pascal is
> supported by a couple of the lesser environments but it may be a bad way to go if
> you are looking for a professional career in programming.
>
> I feel badly for the many millions of lines of legacy code written in Pascal.

1/ I never said Pascal was good to use for a real life project.
2/ What does it matter if some platforms drop it, we're only talking about something
that is supported on ordinary PCs. Win32 for sure, but I'm almost certain all flavours
of Unix, including Linux support some form or other of Pascal. Go check the GNU
Pascal.

3/ Pascal as I said is good, brilliant, perfect as a teaching language. Very simple,
clear, easy to understand, easy to use. Makes programming a good experience and
enforces good habits. Of course it gets limited for sizeable real life projects.

Regards,
Al.

--
ANTI SPAM / ANTI ARROSAGE COMMERCIAL :

To answer me, please take out the Z from my address.