POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Do the Rossler... : Re: Do the Rossler... Server Time
4 Oct 2024 05:21:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do the Rossler...
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 10 May 1999 03:15:18
Message: <373679AB.C0528B76@geocities.com>
Ken wrote:

> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>
> > >   ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/png/index.html
> > >

> > One minor update  ;-)
> >
> > I'd suggest using http instead (it works now)
> >
> > http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/
>
>  Strange ! With Netscape I go straight to the html page with no problems
> when I click on the link I provided. Are you using something different
> than Netscape as your communications package on the net ?

Ahh, yes grashopper, but there is more than appears to the eye. :-)

If you use the ftp access to hit the web site, you get none of the HTTP
header info. No last modified dates, MIME types, etc.
With FTP, the MIME type is guessed by the browser by looking up the known
extensions in it's list of helper apps. And there is no chance of it being
told the charset, last-expires, last-mod, etc. Or of doing smart client
negotiation for asset types...

But, when using HTTP to access the pages, the browser can get all that
info, and does not have to do any of the guessing. Always a safer thing to
do.

So, that's why I suggested doing HTTP instead of FTP. (Does that all make
sense now?)