POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : cursed media (oh, 20k or so) : Re: cursed media (oh, 20k or so) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cursed media (oh, 20k or so)
From: Ken
Date: 8 May 1999 22:16:41
Message: <3734391A.31531AF4@pacbell.net>
Ross Litscher wrote:

> I'm having a heck of a time getting media to do what i want it to. I 'm
> working on this indoors scene with light pouring through a window (see image
> below). I would like to have the appearance of dust particles being
> illuminated by the light (a spot light outside the house). Can someone "shed
> some light" on what kind of options i need to be using? isotropic scattering
> (of yellow, since that is what the spotlight color is. don't know if that is
> what i should do though) is what i tried, 10 intervals, 1 -> 5 samples.
> There is another light in the scene, a point light that has Reacts with
> Media and Attenuated by Media turned off. (i'm using moray to do the scene,
> by the way)
>
> the scene either came out all white, or really dark with all the objects
> kinda blue, depending on what things I switched around. This is a small
> image of the scene layout to help show what i am trying to do, where light
> is comming from, whatever. I've never succesfully used media before, i could
> sure use some help.
>
>  [Image]

 I really cnat tell much from your image but I cna offer some help I
believe. On 04-09-1999 I posted two images that accomplished what
you are attempting. The second post that day titled "Patend Issued"
has the source code for the scene attached to the end of the message.
It should give you some insperation and paramters to try. Usualy you
will find the mistake is from not using a bright enough light source
for the media intereaction. Try values for the light source on the
order of light_source { <0,0,0> rgb 1.5 } . 1.5 can even be on the
low side and I have gone as high as 10 before.

  Also Mike Hough has two good tutorials on his site about this type
of media an has been the basis of my own success in this regard.

http://members.xoom.com/POVRAY3/media1.html
http://members.xoom.com/POVRAY3/media2.html

--
Ken Tyler