POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Do the Rossler... : Re: Do the Rossler... Server Time
4 Oct 2024 05:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do the Rossler...
From: Rick (Kitty5)
Date: 8 May 1999 09:34:10
Message: <37342f42.0@news.povray.org>
> If those are your main concerns, then that reasoning stands to favor PNG
over
> TGA or JPG. Depending on the system, TGA/JPG's look different and you have
no
> hope of even guessing how the artist originally intended them. PNG at
least
> stores the info.

However this causes us to rely on the original author setting the gamma
correct on his system, or having a decent monitor in the first place.

> For the last few years, PNG has been the format, and the W3C has
recommended
> it. Opera has handled them well for quite a while.

The WC3 recommend everything, there is virtully no file format that they
have not. And as to Opera, how many people use that? from my own site, which
has 20,000 pages shown every month (not sure about unique visitors at this
time) 90% use eith MSIE or Netscape, more tend to use IE at the moment, the
rest is made up of unknowns, webTV, Amiga and Opera reaings in at about 1-2%

> Now, I will say that for this newsgroup often JPG will suit the image
fine. In
> this case, however, given the large expanses of flat color ( the black
> especially ), and the subtle details in the actual image, I would say that
PNG
> is a good choice for this one. Even on 16-bit display and using 100%
quality,
> the JPG version looses much of the clarity of the image.

As i have said I use a standard raster format for storage, and compress it
myself, Jpegs are only good for the web.

Rick