POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rubix Cube : Re: Rubix Cube Server Time
4 Oct 2024 05:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rubix Cube
From: Andy Woodfin
Date: 6 May 1999 22:30:35
Message: <37324176.274F7205@uncc.edu>
Thomas Lake wrote:

> I think there is an easier way to do this than with complex mathematics. I'm
> not sure this would work, though I don't see why not. What you could do is
> get a real rubix cube and draw or write down the positions and color of all
> the different cubes. Then take a few days off work :-) and solve it as many
> times as you can each time writing down all the different moves. Then all you
> have to do is recreate the rubix cube in Pov-Ray using the drawing or
> description you made of the original cube then animate it using the
> instructions you wrote down while solving it.

Or you could just successively randomly rotate the sides from the previous
frame's orientation, then animate the frames in reverse and nobody's the wiser!
:-)I've done the lock-yourself-in-your-room-until-you-solve-it thing, and it's a
bit time consuming.

Andy

--

"There are three men in a boat with four cigarettes but no matches.

Andrew Woodfin
UNC Charlotte Center for Precision Metrology
adw### [at] unccedu | http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~adwoodfi