POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering of large CT volumes : Re: Rendering of large CT volumes Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering of large CT volumes
From: Jim Kress
Date: 6 May 1999 16:47:19
Message: <3731f1c7.0@news.povray.org>
I use POV-Ray for rendering 3D isosurfaces and spatial extents from
volumetric data for various quantum molecular electronic properties such as
orbital density, electrostatic potentials, etc.

POV-Ray is primarily a 3D surface modeler.  Virtually all the work you see
from POVRay utilizes surfaces generated from primitive shapes or
isosurfaces.  You could generate an isosurface from your volumetric data and
render that. There is a patch for POVRay that will generate isosurfaces from
volumetric data. Also, POVRay has just introduced a 'volumetric rendering'
capability called media.  I have used it for volumetric rendering but have
found it to be unsatisfying for if one wishes to discern structural
information within the volume being rendered.  I find a combination of
isosurfaces and media to be best for my uses.

After examination of your images, it would seem they may be amenable to
isosurfacing and then rendering with POVRay.  I'd suggest you give it a try!
If you need any help, feel free to contact me.

--
Jim

Check out my web site http://www.kressworks.com/
It'll blow your mind (politically), stimulate your senses (artistically)
and provide scientific insights that boggle the mind!!