POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rubix Cube : Re: Rubix Cube Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rubix Cube
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 6 May 1999 12:08:50
Message: <3731B0CF.2420E39@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Ken wrote:

> RED-Cow wrote:
> >
> > I got bored the other day and decided to make one of these.  I'm
> > wondering if Moray's Inverse Kinematics could be used to make it so the
> > sides are rotatable.  That would be cool.
>
>   From what I understand about inverse kinematics this would probably
> be a poor application of it's abilities. All you really need to do is
> declare a group of nine cubes on one face in a union and then rotate
> it around it's own axis.
>
>  A little random color distribution from that shown would at least
> seperate yours from the dozen or so I have seen all displayed in a
> solved state of rest.
>
>   To get it really mixed up i.e. to make it usable is not something I
> think would be worth the effort. Might make for a really challenging
> animation project. Write a routine that randomly mixes up the cube and
> the remainder of the animation pov spends trying to solve it. Might be
> possible but way beyond anything I would like to try.

Well posed hell :-)
Two remarks, firstly, not every random order of boxes is solveble! I know a very bad
move towards
others trying to solve your cube, just by twisting one box. No way to ever make it. So
you have to
be really careful to choose or construct a possible order. But then of course one can
implement the
solver, that was there at the time. I used to have it in print, but surfing may yield
to a faster
solution.

Axel

PS: I think the spaces between the colored patches are just a bit to wide.