POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Soap Icon : Re: Soap Icon Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:23:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Soap Icon
From: Axel Hecht
Date: 6 May 1999 11:59:59
Message: <3731AEBE.DC1B1F83@numerik.uni-kiel.de>
Rick (Kitty5) wrote:

> media??
>
> hang on, let me get this straight, your modelling apparently solid opjects
> with media, OK, you either have a very powerfull computer, or need you head
> looking at (from the inside:)

No doubt about that! But noone ever dared to really do so.

> why not just to a superelispsthingy, a little CSG for the text, render real
> quick, and make it blurry abound the edges in a paint program, or use POVray
> focal blur

I started that way, but I wanted the bit of transparency I know from my soap at
home. I really isn't that easy. It's quite shiny at the side where the light
comes from and grows darker to the other. I thought media. The balance between
media effects and readability of the text was quite tricky.
And then of course I do have no fast machine. I just work at one ;-). Render
time is 13 minutes with antialiasing and 15 samples for the media.

> its for web use right?, there is not enougth contrast between the word
> "Daily" and the background, drop your screen color depth to 256 and you will
> see what i mean ( i have attached a GIF of it on a 256 col desktop)
>
> Rick
><...>

Whoops, and that happens to me. I used to be the one stating that. But I WAS
sitting at a 8bit XTerminal and have now a brilliant truecolor visual SUN in
front of me.
Well, the page is not intended to be surfed, really. It will be pure Netscape4
page and so on. But I will rethink the colors.

Thanks for input.

Axel