POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : My gravity calculations don't work... help! : Re: Texture Needed Server Time
3 Sep 2024 02:14:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture Needed
From: Ken
Date: 6 May 1999 01:04:23
Message: <3731143E.C6DE2305@pacbell.net>
Ben Birdsey wrote:

>         You know, I can really appreciate this kind of "deck plating".  I think it's
> the streaking and rust that makes it look so GOOD.  But then I ask myself "how
> would a ship get that rusty in space, and why would it streak?"

  Well speaking of a purely hypothetical situation it might be possible that
the fuel used in the ship is one of the severe oxidizers like most of the
fuels used in the US space program. Additionally it is common, at least with
current technologies, for fuel systems to leak until a certain quantity of
fuel is loaded thus forcing the seals to seat which halts further leakage.
Until this happens the severe oxidizing agents are exersizing their unique
ability to create surface oxidation reduction reactions on the exposed metals
of the space vehicle accelerating the decay and shortening the life span of
of it's outer metallic surface.
  A severe oxidizing agent needs no atmosphere to create a reaction so this
explains the oxidizing even in a vacuum. The streaking is from where the
fuel is accelerated along the surface of the ship as it is docked to a
revolving space port and eventually boils off into space. But before this
happens it has already had time to inflict it's share of damage.
  This is all of course conjecture on my part and is not based on any first
hand observations. As soon as I do get the opportunity to make observations
of this type I will forward them to you in a timely manner with any comments
I think may offer you greater insight into this seemingly unsolvable mystery.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net