POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Do the Rossler... : Re: Do the Rossler... Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Do the Rossler...
From: Rick (Kitty5)
Date: 5 May 1999 22:01:59
Message: <3730ea07.0@news.povray.org>
> > This is much better, just one question ,why the hell a PNG? That damn
file
> > format makes one image look different in nearly every program i view it
> > with.
>
> Get a _real_ newsreader (not Microblows-crap) and you'll see the pics.

Yes but as I mentioned, PNG's are not displaed the same on every program,
MSIE based programs display them MUCH larger and brighter, Paint shop pro
makes the image look much darker, the list goes on and on!

This is supposed to be a key factor in digital artwork, whats the point in
spending hours creating the image if it's going to be displayed with
different gamma setting on every program that displays it!!

you have to target your work to the aduience, and if they are all using the
same software as yourself, then no problem, but that is NEVER the case,
people will decide on there software by either finincial or emmotional
reasons.

a compresseed TGA for rendering purposes will never grow that large from
most scenes (up to 1024x768) and compress well with ZIP or RAR for storage.
(same for windows BMP for that matter)

JPEG compression is the standard for displaying images over the internet,
don't forget you can adjust the compression so it suits the image better!

Instead of commenting on my choice of software, maybe you should buy a new
hard drive, if storage space is a critical as you make it seem, its a
surprise that your machine even runs a an effective speed, remember that
thing called - swap file?

Rick