POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : checkered plane, reflective sphere. : Re: checkered plane, reflective sphere. Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:21:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: checkered plane, reflective sphere.
From: Ken
Date: 5 May 1999 18:04:33
Message: <3730B1DC.CF1ACF53@pacbell.net>
Spider wrote:

> *laugh*
> Source in .text.scenefiles any moment :-)
>
> --
> //Spider    --  [ spi### [at] bahnhofse ]-[ http://www.bahnhof.se/~spider/ ]

  After further evaluation I conclude you ain't gonna have your cake
and eat it too with this one. In fact I think you are certifiably
mad.
  You have a perfect mirror sitting behind semi transparent objects,
these with moderate ior values, high reflection values specified in
the textures used, you didn't even bother adjusting the max trace level
to what you knew you would eventually have to raise it to, especially if
you ever dreamed of it coming out with something close to a decent image
quality. Your biggest problem with this one is the semi transparent
texture and the high reflection values. You have internal reflections
coming out the wazoo on those multi faced font objects.
  Add to that all of the light being reflected back into the fonts
objects from the mirror surfaced sphere behind it and you don't stand
a chance me bucko. Additionaly to add misery to an already bloody scene
file you specified and enormous phong highlight for the floor, lit by
a bright spot light, which is adding it's extra reflected light into
every nook and cranny on the internally reflecting surfaces of the font
objects. I am not even sure a Cray would handle this one smoothly and
in a short time period. Don't you ever try anything simple ? There is
a lot that can be accomplished without such grandiose manoeuvres as you
are attempting with this one.
  Hell fire and damnation man be reasonable ! There are reasonable limits
to these things and you seem to have tossed out the rule books long ago.

With my humble regards,

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net