POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Bicubic Patches? : Re: Bicubic Patches? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:19:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bicubic Patches?
From: Scott David Daniels
Date: 5 May 1999 12:16:16
Message: <37306128.5F355FD2@Acm.Org>
One thing I forgot to mention:  To connect a pair of patches along
an edge, the following should be visually "good enough:"

   A: share all of the edge points (obvious, I know, but...),
   B: The pairs of control points one hop away from the edge,
	on both patches should lie on a line with the common knot.

That last sounded a bit like Greek (no offense, please if you are
Greek).  How about an example:

Original Patch:
	A, A1, A2, A'
	B, B1, B2, B'
	C, C1, C2, C'
	D, D1, D2, D'

New Patch:
	D, D1, D2, D'
	E, E1, E2, E'
	F, F1, F2, F'
	G, G1, G2, G'

Constraints:
	A: share an edge. (Done: D..D' is shared)
	B: C-D-E is a straight line with D between C and E,
	   For all four triples:
		C-D-E, C1-D1-E1, C2-D2-E2, and C'-D'-E'

You are free to make the Fs and Gs anywhere you like.
Note that C-D and D-E don't need to be the same length;
our eyes don't notice that second-order continuity.

-Scott