POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : importing texture definitions : Re: importing texture definitions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:31:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: importing texture definitions
From: Ken
Date: 5 May 1999 11:12:29
Message: <37305148.4CA5EDD9@pacbell.net>
Lutz Kretzschmar wrote:

> Hi ZuluNiner, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
> > I don't supposed you'd consider that as a future feature??
> Probably not. I don't have the time to write a POV-Ray parser from
> scratch (which is what I'd have to do). However, this would be a
> perfect task for the Plugin SDK.
>
> > or possibly an external tool to convert texture definitions from POV inc to
> > library files??  Or even simply the ability to ADD a texture to an existing
> > library (and add new libraries.)
> I'm not sure what you mean by Library. But if you mean Moray Texture
> Libraries (i.e. *.MTX files), then you *can* add to them and create
> new ones, etc. We are also working on better texture library
> management for the next version of Moray.
>
> - Lutz
>   email : lut### [at] stmuccom
>   Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Lutz,

  Have you by any chance seen the C++ programming library called ParPov ?

  A brief discription from the home page of the program source.

---------
   ParPov is a free (GNU), object-oriented library written in C++ for
parsing Scene Files of the Persistence of Vision Ray-Tracer (POV-Ray).
It will read a scene written in version 1-3 syntax and creates a structure
of C++-Objects, representing all details of the original description. You
can query those objects and use the information for conversion to other
formats or for many other uses. Pov2Rib is also a freely available progam,
which allows you to convert scene files from POV-Ray to a RenderMan Interface
Bytestream (RIB). The tool is the first application of libParPov.
---------

This is the first work I have seen that actually parses Pov files and
converts it to usable data. More information can be found at the link
below.

http://www9.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~cnvogelg/pov2rib/index.html

Regards,

--