POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Attempt at "Photo-Realism" : Re: Attempt at "Photo-Realism" 800x600 ~ 50k Server Time
4 Oct 2024 05:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt at "Photo-Realism" 800x600 ~ 50k
From: GrimDude
Date: 5 May 1999 04:30:47
Message: <372ff3a7.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <372FEA53.E3AAABAC@pacbell.net>...
>GrimDude wrote:
>>
>>   heh, okay.
>>   14'-1/4" for the D-model ...
>
>  Thanks for the input.

No problem! Should you need any further information of this kind (relative
to the Mustang I, II, III, P51, P51A, B, C, D, K, H or F-82 Twin Mustang)
don't hesitate to ask!

>> Perhaps a problem with distance_maximum?
>
>  "distance_maximum?" ?

Well, I thought I had tried enough variations that I might have discovered a
bug somewhere. Still testing...

>   Perhaps the amount of diffused finish used but more likely caused
> by phong highlighting in the metallic finish statement or a combination
> of the two. Remove the phong if it's in there and try specular instead.
> I like to try amounts starting with specular 0.6 roughness 0.001 to
> 0.0001 for really tight highlights.

Actually, my texture is similar to your suggestion here. I used a high
brilliance, which I am testing now.

>    How far is the light source from the object. I have noticed a more
> uniform lighting model when the light source is greater than say 200
> -300 pov units from the object. It seems to give more proximity related
> traits inside the 100-200 pov unit range and even more so from 100-0.
>    Try different light source distances and evaluate the changes they
> make in the appearence of the model. Also try a silver colored fill
> light to add to the reflected color from the aircrafts surface.
> Couldn't hurt to experiment a bit at this point.
>
>   Finish statements are of course always suspect when a texture, or
> pigment with finish, does not perform as expected.

I was inside of 100 units with the light_source, but relative to what? My
model spans .1x.08x.03 (or so) units, and the light_source is 39 units
distance. I'm testing a much greater distance now.

>> 4) The aircraft panel lines have been ignored by choice. The model has
>> already exceeded 8megs, and that's enough. If, I ever get things looking
>> good, I may go back and clip out the individual panels.
>
>  I'll fix the roof as soon as it stops raining. (cough)

Primitives are much easier to deal with then those sloping roofs.

  Additionally, I think there may be a bug in the program I used to convert
from TruSpace's .dxf output into Pov's smooth triangles. I'm looking into
this too, but I've noticed that the finish on the wing surface, and anywhere
I've done a sharp clip, has been dulled severely. I'm hoping it's just a
coincidence and I'll find something else that fixes this.
  The more I work on these planes (and no, not just 51's), the more I find
there is to add detail-wise.
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

GrimDude
vos### [at] arkansasnet