POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Use found for useless pipe macro (sorry!) : Re: Use found for useless pipe macro (sorry!) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use found for useless pipe macro (sorry!)
From: Equiprawn
Date: 2 May 1999 08:06:25
Message: <372c31b1.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

> I like it! However the "USS Harriman" seems to bu upside down. Usually any
> StarShip you see in StarTrek has their "Warp Necells", those two long
structures
> you have on the bottom, the other way around, shouldn't they be on top?

The design for this ship is based on the Nebula class vessle, which has its
warp nascelles on the underside of the ship, and a sensor pod on top. You
can see one at the end of "Generations"

> Also I
too think the Borg ship needs more pipes, perhaps instead of putting a box
in
> the middle make the entire thing out of pipes, and make several layers of
> different sizes and thickness, I think that's how My Tran did his object.

I did try this, but I couldn't get enough objects on the surface, all the
pipes just turned inside. I actually have nPipe=10000, which took quite a
while to parse. I think you might be able to control how many pipes go
inside with the #declare box_hole variable, but I couldn't get it to work.
Mr Tran?

Also
> to make it really borg like you will want to have a green light in the
center of
> the cube, or several scattered around its surface.

I never noticed that about the Borg before! I must have been blind. I'll do
that in version 2.

Oh and lastly, you say that
> the Borg ship was the size of a small moon, well if that's the case then
the
> "USS Harriman" you have isn't much smaller, perhaps you should make the
borg
> ship bigger, you don't have to see the entire ship and perhaps by scaling
it up
> and seeing less of it will make it look the proper size?

The borg ship is actually huge (compared to mars in the background), and the
Harriman is actually very small, but because of the perspective in the
image, the Harriman looks bigger than it actually is (or the Borg ship looks
smaller, one or the other).

Anyway sorry for all
> the nick picking, its a very good image!

Don't worry, all the constructive criticism can only help me make my scenes
better.

Thanks,

Equiprawn