POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Space filling curves (~50Kb) : Re: Space filling curves (~50Kb) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space filling curves (~50Kb)
From: David Cook
Date: 2 May 1999 04:50:10
Message: <372c03b2.0@news.povray.org>
For those of you who were interested, the results of this posting:

Thanks to Philippe for the information on the origins of this curve. I took
a look at the Truchet tiling, and it seems to be a bit simpler than the
space-filling-curve (SFC) that I submitted. I also looked into Dragon Curves
and confirmed that this is not of that classification. I was fooling around
with SFC's back in the early 80's and after so many years, my neurons are
all cross-linked between Hilbert, Sierpinsky, Peano, Dragon, etc.

This SFC is actually a simple contouring algorithm. I'd been tinkering with
this at the same time I was messing with the SFC's and subsequently merged
it in with the the other regular patterns.

have to agree. This is a fractal in the same sense that a plasma is a
fractal, i.e., the details are random, but the structure is coherent.
"Regular" SFC's such as Hilbert, Peano, etc., are recursive and predictable.

Philippe had suggested animating this, but I have to humbly admit that I
don't know how this might work. Philippe, please elaborate, se vous plez...

Last, but not least, thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions!

David Cook <nos### [at] homecom> wrote in message
> I've always referred to this type of space-filling curve as a Dragon
Curve.