POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer : Re: Programmer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmer
From: Steve
Date: 4 May 1999 10:48:40
Message: <372EFBB7.CAA595B1@puzzlecraft.com>
Alain CULOS wrote:

> Route 2 :
> Next step I would strongly advise Pascal as it is a pretty simple conventional
> programming language. If you look closely at the way it enforces you to define
> your programs you will understand pretty clearly and pretty quickly what is
> happening in the machine and in the compiler. Pascal is one of the best
> (self)teaching languages.
> Borland (not free) has developped turbo pascal with object oriented features and
> that is much easier to use than C++. Again very good for teaching purposes not
> always as powerful as C/C++, always cleaner than C/C++.

You should be aware that of the 3 major programming environments, one dropped
Pascal a while back and the second announced yesterday that it is dropping Pascal.
Pascal is a fine language, but it appears that it's future is now frozen. Pascal is
supported by a couple of the lesser environments but it may be a bad way to go if
you are looking for a professional career in programming.

I feel badly for the many millions of lines of legacy code written in Pascal.

steve