POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Use found for useless pipe macro (sorry!) : Re: Use found for useless pipe macro (sorry!) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:17:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use found for useless pipe macro (sorry!)
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 3 May 1999 08:38:58
Message: <372D8B64.A77E6985@inapg.inra.fr>
10000 elements... It would still be parsing on my P133... Well, the macro was
created initially to fill a space so... It could be easily altered to work in 2D
only, though (the 6 directions are in an array called dirP, just replace the z
and -z directions by x and y). The box_hole feature is only there to prevent the
apparition of "decorations" where you can't see them and thus save memory and
parsing time.

I can see two ways to obtain the desired effect.
- First, create pipes with a relatively flat container box (like <100,100,10>,
so that it will constrain the pipes in a "wall" structure. Then you'll be able
to arrange the walls all around the Borg ship.
- Second, instead of creating a single pipe with many elements, try creating
smaller pipes and rotate them. A trick that never fails in this kind of
situation is to create a first set of elements and then replicate it with
different angles and different positive and negative scaling (I've been using
this trick to create large prairies with only one initial patch of grass). In
the demo image, I created a first "cage" with five pipes and then used it twice
: one regular copy and one negative copy (scale -1). Since it's a cube, you
could also rotate the initial cage at 90 degrees in every direction a few times
and obtain pseudo complexity at little cost. You can probably use the same pipe
5 or 6 times and nobody will notice it. Don't forget to turn on the dofile
feature so you won't have to parse everything everytime.

I hope this helps.
Gilles

Second