POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : IRTC "history" - missed the deadline... (180k) : IRTC "history" - missed the deadline... (180k) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 23:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC "history" - missed the deadline... (180k)
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 2 May 1999 08:46:09
Message: <372C39E1.6C8088C9@compuserve.com>
It seems I've been a little late to submit this image to the
IRTC "History" round, so I'm showing it here...

EMAIL             : 101### [at] compuservecom
NAME              : Fabien MOSEN
TOPIC             : HISTORY
COPYRIGHT         : I SUBMIT TO THE STANDARD RAYTRACING COMPETITION
COPYRIGHT
TITLE             : Het achterhuis
COUNTRY           : BELGIUM (french speaking)
WEBPAGE           :
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/MichelMosen/chkpage.htm
RENDERER USED     : POV 3.1e
TOOLS USED        : sPatch, Corel,
RENDER TIME       : 3 hours
HARDWARE USED     : AMD K6/233 - 128 Mb

IMAGE DESCRIPTION :

Holland, 1942.  Anne Frank (14) and her family, being Jews and wanting
to avoid being sent to concentration camps (they knew very well what
these camps were), with the help of one on the father's employees,
had to hide themselves in an "achterhuis" (backhouse), which was built
at the back of a pretty normal house.  The achterhuis comprised several
rooms,
and was linked to the house by a secret bookshelf that was in fact a
door.

While they lived hidden, Anne, the younger girl, started to write a
diary,
where she was writing letters to a fictious "Kitty", to who she told
everything
about how they lived, her feelings...

August 4, 1944, the nazis discovered their hiding place, and they were
sent in concentration camps where all the family died (killed, or
victims
of epidemy).  Anne died in march 1945, only a few days before the camps
were liberated.  Only her father, Otto Frank, survived.  After the end
of the war,
he found the diary and published it.

The diary is a unique testimony about what the Jews (and everyone who
has to hide)
could feel, how they lived in that situation.  The particular point of
view,
in the diary of a young girl, makes the book amazing and poignant.

For more complete information : www.annefrank.com

The image is an attempt to recreate Anne's room, where she slept, and
where
she wrote her diary, on a small desk.

important note : this image is an *illustration*; while it was seriously
documented,
time constraints and variations amongst the source docs prevent it to be
absolutely
accurate; so, again, it's just an ILLUSTRATION.

DESCRIPTION OF HOW THIS IMAGE WAS CREATED :

- bought and read the book.  While I was aware of it, I never had the
opportunity
to read it.  As I said before, it is amazing.

- a few days after I bought the book, I've been informed that an Anne
Frank exhibition
will be held in my city between March and April.  Great !  I had the
opportunity
to collect every information I was missing, especially about the room
itself.

- I had to do "reverse" perspective : extracting actual dimensions from
a photograph.
Glad I learned perpective in school !

- everything else is patient modelling job :
  curtain and magazines on the shef are HF's
  cushion and bedsheets are sPatch modelling
  everything else is CSG

The deadline is near, and I don't have the time to explain too much
detail !
Also, I don't see anything that needs too much explanation ;)
If you still want to know something else, write me !

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'achter.jpg' (180 KB)

Preview of image 'achter.jpg'