POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rolling fog, I FINALLY DID IT! : Re: Rolling fog, I FINALLY DID IT! Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rolling fog, I FINALLY DID IT!
From: Johnny Smith
Date: 2 May 1999 06:09:28
Message: <372C16C7.BE920C5E@telebot.net>
Mick Hazelgrove wrote:

> Brilliant
>
> How about letting us in on the secret! I've been trying to do this for
> years!

        Well,  without the heightfield posted as well,   and the image
maps as well,  it would be hard to perfectly recreate this.  But the
relevant source is at the bottom.  If anyone wants the complete
source/picture.  (including the meshes used for the trees,  let me know)
But I can tell you this.  I used a ground fog... cranked the turbulence up
to something stupid like 119.  Made the fog height and the fog falloff
almost the same.. so that there was no gradual increase in fog density.
In otherwords,  I crushed the fog more or less to where it was a constant
density from top to bottom.
Next,  I used a fairly smooth heightfield.  (but not entirely smooth)
Laid the fog very close to the ground.
What made the fog look "patchy"  and intermittent was the fact that the
heightfield poked through the top of the  fog.  Effectively cutting it in
2.  (in places)

// WHITE FOG
fog
{
  fog_type   2
  distance   0.08
  color rgbt  <0.7, 0.7, 0.7 0.1> // gray
  fog_offset -0.09  // height at which has a constant density
  fog_alt    0.03  //falloff rate
  turbulence 119.8 octaves 2 omega 8.0  lambda 2.0
  turb_depth 6
}

height_field
{
  tga "heightfield.tga"
  scale <180, 2.2, 220>
  translate <-50, -1, -5>
  smooth
  texture { pigment {image_map { tga "c:\povray\texture_maps\grass.tga"
interpolate 2}
                     rotate x*90
                    }translate <40, 0, 0>
          }