POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pyramids : Re: Pyramids Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pyramids
From: Steve
Date: 30 Apr 1999 23:42:00
Message: <372A6962.827963DC@ndirect.co.uk>
It's meant to be perfectly smoothe lime stone, (don't ask me
where they got the lime stone from, because I don't know).  The
reason why the pyramids are now stepped is because thieves stole
the limestone because it was valuable in that part of the world.
[i.e. they traded with Europeans for the limestone.] The
limestone wouldn't have weathered away/eroded in such a small
space of time.

The stepped layers that we see today are sandstone and readily
available in the regiou, (if you've got lots of money).  The
builders of the pyramids weren't slaves, as they've supposadly
found scroles which detail accounts for the building of the
pyramids, including payment for labour.

Having said all of this, there is a very similar image in one of
the rounds of the IRTC.

Cheers
Steve

PS: I'm not an Egyptologist or anything, just felt like typing
for a while.