POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shut up Spider : Re: Shut up Spider Server Time
4 Oct 2024 11:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shut up Spider
From: Hans-Detlev Fink
Date: 29 Apr 1999 10:31:05
Message: <37285ED8.730A3BC2@pecos.nospam.de>
Ian Burgmyer wrote:

> Nope.  I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong) that it is actually the extended
> headers in the newsgroup post.  This gives a detailed explanation of the

Yes, try View-->Headers-->All if you're using Netscape 4.5.

> authors name, E-Mail address, the format from the post (text/html,
> text/plain, or something like that), some other info, and the poster's IP
> address.  The IP address identifies someone on the Internet.  It is of the

Almost. To be nitpicking: It identifies a _machine_ on the Internet.
This is not necessarily the same as an individual. (Heard of multiuser
systems?)

> format x.x.x.x, with x being an integer from 0 to 255.  Since Nick has cable
> modem (SUPER FAST) services through @Home.com, his never changes.  However,
> with a dial-up ISP, it changes more-often-then-not.  Right now, my IP is
> 208.210.22.16.  Now next time I dial up to my ISP, it could change.  Maybe
> to 208.210.22.10 or even 208.210.22.99.  Usually, on these dynamic IP's
> (where it changes), the last number changes.

I can't believe that each cable modem has its own IP address. I guess
they are shared in a somewhat dynamic way.

> Scott noticed, by looking at the message headers, that Nick's (being a cable
> modem user through @home) IP was 24.0.254.216 in both messages.  Good sign
> of an attempted cover up.

I agree. That's what stochastics tells us.

-Hans-