POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : New Output File Format : Re: New Output File Format Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Output File Format
From: Glen Berry
Date: 29 Apr 1999 06:48:06
Message: <372828b8.30037430@news.povray.org>
On 28 Apr 1999 15:57:06 -0500, par### [at] my-dejanewscom (Ron Parker)
wrote:

>If the goal is to provide more dynamic range, might I suggest Daren Scot
>Wilson's unlimited light patch?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Daren Scot's patch only serves to
compress the dynamic range of scenes to fit better into an 8
bit-per-pixel image. I wasn't aware that it would allow for higher bit
depths in the final image.

Personally, I wish that it were possible to create, display, and print
images with higher bit depths than is currently possible. The dynamic
range of 8 bpp pales in comparison to a well exposed Kodachrome slide.
Being a photographer for several years, I will never be totally
satisfied with digital imaging until the dynamic range of the images
is improved.

Later,

Glen Berry

Email:    7no### [at] ezwvcom
(remove the "7" to reply via personal email)

Website:  http://www.ezwv.com/~mclilith/index.html