POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another recursion macro test : Re: Another recursion macro test Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another recursion macro test
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 29 Apr 1999 05:04:55
Message: <372812A3.D87D68D7@peak.edu.ee>
Mike Metheny wrote:

> Very nice.  How much RAM do you have?

128 megs. I probably could have even kept this scene from swapping, had I
used less detailed objects at higher iterations, and bounded the instances
manually. I have a 11-level fractal rendering, BTW. Possibly the highest
object count I've ever had (except in triangle meshes) - 3,188,628. Same
base object, but different curvature (60 degrees). Looks interesting, a bit
like a honeycomb (just a bit).

> I would be interested in the source.

The macro is not fully functional yet. Like I said, it has trouble with 3D
fractals. To get it even thus far I had to make some changes that seemed
completely irrational to myself. I'd say the damn thing shouldn't work at
all - but my eyes beg to differ. So, to fix the 3D problem, I'll probably
have to make some more obviously wrong changes... I hate it when my logic
dies on me!

Margus