POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shut up Spider : Re: Shut up Spider Server Time
4 Oct 2024 07:11:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shut up Spider
From: Ian Burgmyer
Date: 29 Apr 1999 01:16:34
Message: <3727dd22.0@news.povray.org>
Nope.  I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong) that it is actually the extended
headers in the newsgroup post.  This gives a detailed explanation of the
authors name, E-Mail address, the format from the post (text/html,
text/plain, or something like that), some other info, and the poster's IP
address.  The IP address identifies someone on the Internet.  It is of the
format x.x.x.x, with x being an integer from 0 to 255.  Since Nick has cable
modem (SUPER FAST) services through @Home.com, his never changes.  However,
with a dial-up ISP, it changes more-often-then-not.  Right now, my IP is
208.210.22.16.  Now next time I dial up to my ISP, it could change.  Maybe
to 208.210.22.10 or even 208.210.22.99.  Usually, on these dynamic IP's
(where it changes), the last number changes.

Scott noticed, by looking at the message headers, that Nick's (being a cable
modem user through @home) IP was 24.0.254.216 in both messages.  Good sign
of an attempted cover up.

Hope this helps :)

-Ian