POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer : Re: Programmer Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmer
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 29 Apr 1999 03:22:45
Message: <3727FAE4.E2367BD6@geocities.com>
"Rune S. Johansen" wrote:

> Rune S. Johansen wrote:
> >I would like to come into programming.
> <snip>
> >A description of which languages have which advantages and disadvantages
> >would be appreciated.
> >There's one more thing, I can't spend any money on this programming hobby,
> >guess that limits my number of choices?
> <snip>
>
> Well, I haven't decided yet after all.
>
> A little more details of what I would like to be able to do:
> - Create graphic related programs. That could be anything from
>   post processing tools to programs that generates stereograms
>   to simple games.
> - Create interactive programs, i.e. simple games, multimedia
>   things and so on.
> - Create programs with windows interface.
>
> Of course I mean I would like to learn this with time,
> over many years.

OK. here are my opinions:

With the goals you mentioned, I'd suggest starting on Java and going to C,
with some flip-flop between then (i.e. get the Java basics down, do some nice
little thingies, then get the C basics down, then move back to Java a learn a
little more...). Start with the Java Tutorial from Sun.

Java applets are simple, but get limited soon. Java applications are nice.
For Java I'd suggest getting into Swing/JFC instead of learning AWT stuff.
Also, start with JDK 1.1.7/1.1.8. That's all free! Download the JDK, then also
get the Jikes java compiler from IBM (also free)

Once you get into C and 'windows interface', I'd suggest looking into GTK
(unless your heart is really set on MS Windows development). Probably the best
thing to start with is the Gimp. Besides being Linux, there is now a Win32
port that is pretty far along (it is currently on MSVC 5, but getting the free
cygnus stuff supported as we speak). GTK came from the Gimp to begin with. You
might want to start by looking into the different Gimp plugins (sounds like
the stuff you're interested in).

Also, keep up with Freshmeat and get and read the source of any interesting
programs mentioned there.

Java    http://java.sun.com/
Jikes    http://www.alphaWorks.ibm.com/
The Java Tutorial    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html
JDC    http://developer.java.sun.com/
Gimp    http://www.gimp.org/
GTK    http://www.gtk.org/
Freshmeat    http://freshmeat.net/

Better yet, just get Linux and use gcc for c, and JDK from
http://www.blackdown.org/ for Java.

Also, there are some interesting Java API's out there.

Java2D (in Java2/JDK1.2)
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/index.html
Java Media Framework    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/index.html

Java Advanced Imaging