POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fractal City (okay, well maybe not) : Re: Fractal City (okay, well maybe not) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fractal City (okay, well maybe not)
From: Mike Metheny
Date: 28 Apr 1999 18:12:03
Message: <372779a3.0@news.povray.org>
Okay. . .as to animating. . .I shudder at how long it would take render
wise. . .tho it might look cool.

As to how the image is generated from the base shape, well, like I mentioned
before, this is a much more complicated shape, and has a couple liberties
taken with it.  Look at the original shape.  Now imagine that every segment
is 'facing' a certain way.  It's symmetric across the y axis, so, every
vertical segment to the left of the symmetry 'faces' left, every one to the
right faces right.  Every horizontal segment faces up, except the very first
one on the bottom, which faces down.  Now, how the fractal is created.  This
whole shape is scaled to the width of each segment for the next iteration.
For the horizontal segments, it is scaled to that width, (while keeping the
vertical height the same) and replaces the horizontal segment.  For the
bottom horizontal segment, it is not scaled at all, since that width is the
width of the fractal, it is merely rotated 180 degrees, so it points down,
the way that segment is 'facing'.  Each of the vertical segments is the
same, the previous iteration is scaled by its width and rotated and
translated to replace the segment.  It is only scaled in the x-direction, so
each iteration produces much greater height and gives the shape a lot of
stretch and room to grow, and makes the fractal seem more chaotic.  I've
included the second iteration along with the first one right in front of it,
the camera is offset here a bit though, this is to prevent some of the tiny
strips from disappearing in the pixel width, though you can sorta see that
happening.

--

Mike Metheny
lon### [at] vtedu

"When one's words are no better than silence, one should keep silent."

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fractal3c.jpg' (39 KB)

Preview of image 'fractal3c.jpg'