POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : New Output File Format : Re: New Output File Format Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Output File Format
From: Ron Parker
Date: 28 Apr 1999 16:57:06
Message: <37276812.0@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 14:17:12 -0400, TonyB <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:
>What programs are there able to view your new format?
>
>I long ago suggested a format I discovered when looking at Radiance. It's called
>RGBE. The E stands for 'exponent'. I don't really know what the benefit would be
>over 32-bit color, but you should check it out. It looks good for raytracing.
>
>Here's the link: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~bjw/rgbe.html

I recall looking at rgbe format, and the main complaint I had about it is it
tries to represent things in real-world units.  Were it not for that, I think
something like it would be a nice addition to POV-Ray, though support in
third-party apps would be severely lacking.

If the goal is to provide more dynamic range, might I suggest Daren Scot
Wilson's unlimited light patch?