POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Humble request : Re: Humble request Server Time
4 Oct 2024 03:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Humble request
From: Rick (Kitty5)
Date: 28 Apr 1999 10:46:01
Message: <37271119.0@news.povray.org>
I fully agree with you on the HTML email problems of both browsers, neither
seem to have got it quite right, however at least IE5/Outlook now allows to
to hand edit the HTML source of your HTML email.

but on the whole, I only send HTML email to ppl who i know use the same
software as i do, and HTML email to NG's is a waste of bytes (for
everybody!).

Thanks for the link, it will come in usefull, I do my best to stick to HTML
3.2 when writing web pages, but even then, especially when using complex
nested tables, or *choke* frames, MSIE translates my code litrally, netscape
seems to add a few extra pixels here and there, which can be a real pain to
fix.

for example a page I am working on now is ~2kb larger than it should be just
for fix the anomalies NC introduces, and make the pages 100% identical on
both browsers, and on a site which my go up to 200+ pages, that little bit
extra soon mounts up.

It might well be that MSIE translates quickly written/sloppy code better
then NC which sticks ridigly to the standards, but when it means, extra work
for the developer (me) and extra time downloading (you) i know which i
prefere!

However, unlike some webmasters, at least i take the time to ensure that it
works best on both, istead on inisting that the user goes and gets 'the
other browser'!

Rick

Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in message
> "Rick (Kitty5)" wrote:
>
> > hardly helpfull,
> > > Netscape.
> > hardly helpfull, well i suppose some one had to mention that pile of
****
> > (from personal experience as a web designer, i have to put in extra
hours to
> > get a page looking correct on netscape, and when im being paid by job,
thats
> > the last thing i want.)
> >

> Well, actually it is usually the other way around. MSIE is the one not
> following specs and causing problems. Especially in the context of this
thread,
> Outlook/Exchange can cause major problems when sending to Netscape, not
because
> of anything on the Netscape end but because of Netscape following the
Internet
> specs & RFC's and MS sending piles of '****' out. As a developer, having
to put
> in extra hours to help MIS figure out what's happening to our mail and why
> parts are not showing up is the last thing I want. Sigh.
>
> For HTML in mail, Netscape has a tendency just to put out "bad style"
HTML,