POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Star City : Re: Star City Server Time
4 Oct 2024 01:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Star City
From: Andrew Cocker
Date: 28 Apr 1999 10:41:32
Message: <3727100c.0@news.povray.org>
Spider <spi### [at] bahnhofse> wrote in message news:37266F12.82C92A2A@bahnhof.se...

> This is absurdly beautiful and interesting in shape..

Thanks. Ask me to model a pen or a lamp or something real, and I wouldn't be
interested,
but abstract stuff really inspires me.

> As Uncle Ken responded, it really need something to relate to. Perhaps the
> windows will become this, but I don't know..

No, I think Ken was right, suggesting adding an object/objects that the observer can
relate to. I was thinking myself of adding a roadway leading into the picture with
tiny
streetlamps along it and maybe a tiny vehicle or too.

> It's a good image in any case, and i must wonder.. did you model this in
> POV(script) or did you use an  external modeller ???
>
> Why I ask now, is that I've lately taken interest in nifty shapes... and this is
> definitely one ..

Thanks..I like it too. It just emerged from experimentation, but it really is
extremely
easy. Just the following object scaled, rotated and translated a number of times.

#declare Single_Curve=
union {
#declare r=0.01;
#declare A=10; // number of rods
#declare Count=0; #while (Count<=A)
#declare Horiz=Count; #declare Vert=A-Count;
cylinder {<Horiz/A,0,0>,<0,Vert/A,0>,r  }
#declare Count=Count+1; #end
}

We used to make these at junior school, wrapping string around nails in a block of
wood...all the straight lines give a curved effect.

all the best,

--
Andy