POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Animated HF : Re: Animated HF Server Time
20 Jul 2024 23:33:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animated HF
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 28 Apr 1999 01:56:01
Message: <372694F1.53E4F7B5@Kopp.com>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> I was wondering what was the best way to proceed :
> - creation of textures to be used as height fields
> - mesh generation

The problem with these two techniques is that they are both finite.
With the mesh, you could potentially use a higher resolution mesh near
the camera that fades out to a very low resolution towards the horizon.

> - isosurface (with a parameteric definition of the waves) in the Superpatch.

I think you could probably make an infinite (or at lease very big) ocean
surface which doesn't repeat using this technique.

> I tried the last two approaches and I went as far as creating a wave macro that
> makes a simple wavy surface mesh but I stopped there. The problems I have to
> solve are 1) the mesh /isosurface size and parsing and 2) how to introduce
> randomness in the waves. If you want the source it's available.

I'd love to see it.  :-)

-Nathan