POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : New Output File Format : New Output File Format Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  New Output File Format
From: Mat Anger
Date: 27 Apr 1999 20:11:46
Message: <37264432.0@news.povray.org>
I'm working with the generic unix 3.1 sources on Win98 with MSVisual C++ 5,
to try to add a new file format which i would like to experient with using
some post-processing utilities.  The file format I would like to use would
be very similar to an uncompressed TGA, except it would use 48 bits per
colour (16 bits per component), and mapping pov intensity values 0 to 255 to
the whole range, instead of the range 0 to 1.0 which TGA does at the moment.
This is primarily so I can make 'luminous glow' around particulary bright
objects and highlights.

To do this, I have first created duplicates of the TGA implementation source
code, and symbols used in POV, to make my XLI (eXtended Lumination Image)
format.  It compiles fine, and recognises my new command-line option, and
outputs an .xli file in the TGA format, which is as far as I implemented,
but it only outputs the first 17 bytes of the file.  What am i doing wrong?
Has anyone got an example of how to add a new file format?  Is what I am
trying to do actually possibile?

Thanks for your time.

Mat Anger