POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bryce-->POV-Ray : Re: Bryce-->POV-Ray Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:16:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bryce-->POV-Ray
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 27 Apr 1999 19:02:13
Message: <372633e5.0@news.povray.org>
TonyB wrote in message <3723CA9A.5CD01E1D@panama.phoenix.net>...

>How would you make a texture like the original moon, 'cause I really liked
that
>one.
>What ambient? What diffuse? I never touch the stuff. Does it help to change
it?

For the finish, try something like this:
finish{ambient 0 diffuse .6 brilliance .3}

The low brilliance value makes the light/shadow boundary tighter, which IMO
looks better.
For the texture you can map on an actual image of the Moon's surface. I also
made a moon texture which I'm quite content with. It's rather complex and
not exactly perfect. Anyway, I'll post it in p.t.s-f (to make Ken happy :)

For the rock, I suggest a simple gradient y pattern, since the rock strata
are quite similar in colour. I have seen such textures in many places,
certainly in several IRTC entries, so check 'em out.

Margus