POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:15:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 27 Apr 1999 17:49:04
Message: <37262220.79B19237@ida.utb.hb.se>
Spider wrote:

> Ok, but it was the point that was meant. The possibility to access an objects
> current position without having to use a variable for each value. I know I am
> lazy, but I still want to be able to do this:
> light_source {
>   location camera.location
>   colour rgb 1
>   shadowless
>   spotlight
>   point_at camera.look_at
>   radius...
> }
> Without declaring the variables
> #declare scCameraLocation = <-1200, 105, 1000>;
> #declare scCameralookAt = <...>;

> and so on..

Nice to see someone else who has realised the usefulness of OO scripting. As I said:
what I miss most when writing include files for POV-Ray, is the possibility to
access attributes of different objects like the camera, a lightsource or whatever.
What's more, I'd like to be able to access the current frame number, the initial
clock, the final clock etc - i.e, all the INI file settings. So I think a keyword
for the next version of POV would be 'accessible' as in 'all attributes are now
accessible'.

- Mikael.

Mikael Carneholm
Dep. of Computer Science