POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 ideology proposal : Re: POV 4 ideology proposal Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 4 ideology proposal
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 27 Apr 1999 07:02:00
Message: <37258b18.0@news.povray.org>
Ronald L. Parker wrote in message >Someone else obviously is... see
>http://www.gnu.org/software/panorama/panorama.html

I agree wholly about the compatibility issue. Panorama might be the greatest
raytracer in the world, but as it uses a completely different scene
language, I cannot use ANY POV-Ray code/macro/snippet etc... so this ends
the question.

About the syntax issue: one might preprocess an OO scene language into the
POV-Ray one, adding a new language without harning back compatability. By
the way, C++ started just a C preprocessor. When the raytracing community
eventually settles on a POV-Ray++ language (you heard it here first ;-)  )
then it can be embedded in the official program.

In the past i have written posting which have generated quite a good deal of
flames. I was not meaning to steal anybody code (I am a programmer and I do
not like thieves) or messing around. I was proposing extensions which might
give raise to improvements WITHIN the overall accepted framework of POV.

a.c### [at] iolit