POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : This is not a Rollex WATCH : Re: This is not a Rollex WATCH Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is not a Rollex WATCH
From: Ph Gibone
Date: 27 Apr 1999 04:13:35
Message: <3725639f.0@news.povray.org>
>Hmm.. I have been trying to make a horn for some while, without any success
at
>all. i'll make some scans of the object I'm trying to create, and I'd like
>know a bit more of the procedure you used when you made yours.(yep, I know
it's
>a program, but I still want to know more:-)

I saw the answer by Ken, and he's right (sorry for this pleonasm), but
personaly, I prefer Math (don't call me perverted !). My opinion (very
personal and not a dogma) is : if you can do it with pure math do it so, if
you're stuck, try something else (of course it is depending on the math
skills of the current speaker).

Of course you can melt the two ways and use your math to create the two
pathes used in the Gilles Macro)

So back to math : the Horn is made of a shrinking circle circling around a
fixed point and
here is the equation :

x = a*cos(u)+b*cos(c*u)*cos(u)*cos(v)
y = a*sin(u)+b*cos(c*u)*sin(u)*cos(v)
z = b*cos(c*u)*sin(v)

(of course you can switch x, y and z, here, the big circle is in the xy
plane)

Where a = 10 (Radius of the big circle), b = 3 (radius of the little
rotating circle), c = .6 (this one is a little more complicated to
understand, it measures how fast the little circle vanishes, see below)

(u and v in degrees here)
u in [0, 150] (this ending value gives you the angle at which the small
circle vanishes, it it strongly correlated with the c parameter because c =
90 / ending angle)
v in [0, 360]

What it particularly interesting with these maths is that you know what are
the parameters for, and it's very easy to modify them, if you want a very
thin horn just decrease b, if you want the horn to vanish after a half
circle put ending angle = 180 (Half circle) and c = 90/180 = 0.5

>As for the image, It looks good, although I have noo idea about what it
is...
>Ok, a clock of sorts, with precision.. ok, how did you say I was to use it?
>(what time is it in the image?)

4 h 0 m 40 s, or may be 8 h 0 m 20 s

Philippe