POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Native TAR archive support in POV : Re: Native TAR archive support in POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Native TAR archive support in POV
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 27 Apr 1999 01:20:04
Message: <37253B15.BA85AA7B@geocities.com>
Ralf Muschall wrote:

> Jon A. Cruz wrote:
> > Ralf Muschall wrote:
>
> > BTW, tar on Windows platforms (especially winzip) can cause big headaches
> > with EOL conversions.
>
> Agreed, but this only requires POVray to understand the EOLs of the
> other system. Hackers who want to edit the manually extracted files
> will probably be able to say something like :%s/^V^M// or M-% C-q C-m
> in their editor.

But there are some other problems. Such as Windows versions of tools doing
automatic EOL conversion as a default, and on files that it should not be
doing it to (I've had problems with .BMP files extracted from a tar before).
Once you've done EOL conversions on a binary, kiss the 'restore' goodbye.
Mangling textures for renderings is not a nice thing.

Not that I'm saying this is likely to cause widespread massive riots, but it
does exist and should be considered.