POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer : Re: Programmer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmer
From: Ralf Muschall
Date: 26 Apr 1999 18:02:46
Message: <3724D45C.EA0F0F0A@t-online.de>
Rune S. Johansen wrote:

> I would like to come into programming.

There are essentially three mutually exclusive [ :-( ]
kinds of programming languages:

1. Those which everybody uses to write useful stuff in (C, Java,
   Perl, C++)
2. Those which are relatively easy to learn (scheme, python, subsets of
perl)
3. Those which are constructed in order to be pure, safe, exact
   or something like that (Haskell, Ada, ...)

> I would like to learn a real programming language so I will be less limited
> and can work with things such as interactivity.

If you want to do interactive stuff, you might look at perl or python
(perl is messier, but is considered more intuitive by many people).

Both come with Tk bindings, which allow doing GUIs on both Unixen
(trivially) and Win (after having installed some additional libraries,
which are documented at the place where the language itself is
available).

Languages of the third group are interesting, but probably overkill
unless you need to prove that your programs won't crash even after
an interstellar flight. :-)

Ralf