POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : GIF, TGA, PNG lib : Re: GIF, TGA, PNG lib Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GIF, TGA, PNG lib
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 26 Apr 1999 13:09:21
Message: <37248FC2.B901EB69@geocities.com>
Axel Hecht wrote:

> Johannes Hubert wrote:
> >
> > Careful with writing GIF files!
> >
> > GIF is *not* patentfree. For any application that can write files in the GIF
> > format you have to pay license-fees to the patent owner Unisys. And they are
> > *very* strict about that! Better not get caught writing GIFs without a
> > license...
> >
> > Johannes.
> <...>
>
> As far as I know only commercial applications have to pay for a license.
> There are an awful lot of programs, even open source/GNU thingies, that
> write gif. But correct, ask your favorite lawyer or unisys before
> writing your own gif-code.

Well, back when they did their Christmass ambush of everyone, that was the case.
But Unisys has long since changed their tune and have demanded royalties from
even freeware programs. (They took the freeware exemption out of their license
well over a year ago)

Also, much of the free world is amazed by the silly concept of software patents,
and thus their authors have no problem with the issues. Here in the States,
though, the lawyers run free and are to be watched.