POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Announce: Update to Renderer Plugin : Re: AVI versus sequence of files Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AVI versus sequence of files
From: Maan M  Hamze
Date: 26 Apr 1999 00:49:21
Message: <3723e241.0@news.povray.org>
Alexander Enzmann wrote in message <371C60B6.F1055978@mitre.org>...
>Maan M. Hamze wrote:
>>
>> Alexander
>> Would it be possible to give the user the choice between outputting into
AVI
>> or a numbered sequence of DIB or TGA files?
>> ... (Many other good points about why numbered image files are good) ...
>
>I will probably support TGA, PNG, and TIF output - these are both
>lossless and well supported formats (plus I already have code to do IO
>on them).
>
>Would it be better to have the output file type (e.g., TGA versus PNG)
>as part of the animation options, or should I just use what was set in
>the Moray options?

If it is not too much work and would not cause problems, then probably it is
better to have it as an animation option between TGA, PNG, TIF and maybe
DIB.  DIB's are quite supported in many many programs that accept sequential
files as a way of building an AVI file (or MPG or MOV).  That is why I
mentioned the DIB format in my original post.  In all cases the user chooses
the base name and the program produces the sequence of numbered base name.
Thanks,
Maan