POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Piano : Re: Piano (loads of comments here) Server Time
4 Oct 2024 03:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Piano (loads of comments here)
From: Ken
Date: 25 Apr 1999 03:24:22
Message: <3722B4AC.788FF5C2@pacbell.net>
Dearmad wrote:

> Nathan R. Zwalsh wrote:
> >
> > Here's a Piano that i made using Rhino & pov.  I know that the keys
> > are wrong,
> > Please give me any critisim other than the keys
>
> other than the keys... the support for the lid is at the wrong angle
> (lean in just a *tad*- ie a more acute angle to than it is currently to
> the inside of the piano) and most supports also have an inner support
> that is apperent which would hold the lid up at about a 7 degree angle.
> The angle your full open is at is about right... oh, most supports are
> *not* thin metal as yours is, in fact I have only ever encountered
> wooden supports that would be wider and flatter than yours.
>
> From your camera angle you would normally be able to see the stringgs
> contained within, they are usually less than 6 inches below the lip for
> obvious reasons (sonority and projection mean neither too high nor too
> low, you want to use the wood and metal as sounding material).
>
> Distance from the keys to the lid is too much proportionally.  The
> keyboard lid is missing, either a simply lid or folding lid (the tip
> folds down and in) should be there. Music holderis not wide enough, I
> *think* you would just about want to double it.  At any rate the
> mechanisms of the sheet holder are all missing
>
> Far leg appears to be in the wrong place, nowhere near the end of the
> last curve.  Leg shapes are fine, loads of art goes into them sometimes,
> from ornate carving to wierd inverted seashell curves and such.
>
> Yours appears to be a baby grand thus if you do decide to model the
> strings you will need to show that the treble ends angle in over the
> bass end strings and are not straight key to curve affairs
>
> Lids usually have foldup and lay-flat pieces which, when you close the
> lid come up to cover the strings and over the folded down manuscript
> holder.  This is another nod to sonority.
>
> Hm... I didn't mention the keys... so nyah! :o)

  It looks like a piano though and most people who are not so well versed
as yourself would hardly notice these nit picky little things you mention.

BUT ...

   I seem to recall from most of the pianos I have played, and certainly
from the two that I own, the keys don't end ubruptly at a flat face as
it appears here. There is usualy a stepped box over the tail of the keys
before they enter the enclosure. There might be some models like this but
I don't recall having seen any.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net