POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Programmer : Re: Programmer Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Programmer
From: Steve
Date: 24 Apr 1999 21:15:53
Message: <37225F88.1D80865C@puzzlecraft.com>
There are many specialized programming languages that do a great job.

I am learning C++ as a first language, so all I can do is share my thinking
about it.

C++ is a broad spectrum language capable of doing pretty much anything you
want, but is probably not as efficient as the specialty languages.

C++ is difficult and time consuming to learn. Expect to spend a few months
getting it down.

The learning path in C++ has many dead ends and wrong turns. It's very easy to
end up learning a variant of the language that is not compatible with anything
other than your own setup - there's a lot of non-ANSI compliant compilers out
there.

The final official version of C++ is very new and there are very few books on
fully compliant C++ on the market. I know of only 3.

C++ is highly modular and portable, probably more so than any other language.
It's very easy to reuse functions and objects.

C++ is supported with extensive and highly developed libraries. The number of
available custom libraries is stunning!

Online help is pretty spotty and unreliable - don't even think about it as a
general method of gaining knowledge.

You can always get paying work as a C++ programmer - the recruiters are
bombarding students enrolled in C++ courses.

If your programming goals are specialized, I'd probably recommend looking into
other languages.

steve