POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggestion: alpha channel control : Re: Suggestion: alpha channel control Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: alpha channel control
From: Ken
Date: 24 Apr 1999 03:10:07
Message: <37215FC6.8EE2DC0@pacbell.net>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <3720E730.86D07306@aol.com> , Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom>
> wrote:
>
> > No sky_sphere huh, okay, I had one. 8 bits? Okay again, I set that to
> > more in case it was going to need more over the usual 24-bit image
> > capacity
>
> Well, when you generate an image with alpha-channel you get a 32-bit image.
> Only PNG supports more than 8 bpc, however, no program seems to support more
> than that (they reduce it to 8 bit again). And at least one program (the PNG
> import plug-in for PhotoShop 4.0 on the Mac) seem to have/had problems with
> PNG images over 8 bpc and an alpha-channel...
>
>       Thorsten

  I would not be surprised if it all ties in with the same behavior seen
when specifying filter and transmit for image maps. If your png image is
24 bit the function does not work. If you reduce it to 8 bit 256 color you
get predictable results. I was discussing this in the .general group some
time last week.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net