POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Suggestion: alpha channel control : Re: Suggestion: alpha channel control Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:32:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Suggestion: alpha channel control
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 24 Apr 1999 00:03:43
Message: <3721348f.0@news.povray.org>
In article <3720E730.86D07306@aol.com> , Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> No sky_sphere huh, okay, I had one. 8 bits? Okay again, I set that to
> more in case it was going to need more over the usual 24-bit image
> capacity

Well, when you generate an image with alpha-channel you get a 32-bit image.
Only PNG supports more than 8 bpc, however, no program seems to support more
than that (they reduce it to 8 bit again). And at least one program (the PNG
import plug-in for PhotoShop 4.0 on the Mac) seem to have/had problems with
PNG images over 8 bpc and an alpha-channel...

      Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom