POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pov Now! : Re: Pov Now! Server Time
4 Oct 2024 09:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov Now!
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 23 Apr 1999 22:38:42
Message: <372120a2.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <372### [at] pacbellnet>...

>  Perhaps there in lies the problem er I mean difference between
>our different implementations of writing code. I presume that you
>have some formal education in a programming environment.

None whatsoever, I'm sorry to say.

>I on the
>other hand have not had that influence thrust upon me. Therefore I
>have no methods. Where no methods are employed no method is needed
>to maintained it.

In other words, methods exist by themselves, in themselves and for
themselves? Well...

>I just simply write code as if I were sending a
>letter to a close friend. I read and write it from left to right
>and top to bottom. It makes perfect sense to me and I cannot imagine
>doing it any other way except when I have to communicate it to
>someone else who is too rigidly structured to see it any other way.

We are talking about totally different levels of structuring here. Correct
structure is imperative for a working script; no slip-ups allowed. And the
easiest way to grasp the structure of something is to do so visually.

>  Another possibility is that I have the advantage of being a left
>handed person who is forced to live in a right hand dominate world.
>Everything ever made for operation by hand was optimized for the
>convenience of the right handers of the world. Even the written
>language, as written in the western world, is specifically stylized
>for right handed people.

Aha. So it's a way of getting back at the right-handed world, is it?
I kind of doubt left-handedness hampers indenting, though. You push the TAB
key with your left hand, after all...
BTW, the latin script was originally written from right to left, if I'm not
mistaken. Da Vinci also did the same.

>  Given these challenges and the obstacles that I have overcome it is
>nothing for me to read code left to right and mentally keep track of
>where my curly braces are at the beginning and ending of an operation
>in my scene file. Several studies indicate that left handed people have
>better 3D adn 4d spatial perception, both in physical tasks and in the
>way they approach conceptual problem solving, than their right handed
>counter parts. This may be one form of it manifesting itself.

And you exhibit no false modesty in declaring this :)

Anyway, if you manage to create a compex scene without too many mistakes,
later come back to it and instantly perceive what is what - I can only bow
my head in reverent awe. For those f us who are less lucky, indenting
remains a necessity...

Margus