POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : POV 4 Design Musings : Re: Wish List Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wish List
From: Ron Parker
Date: 23 Apr 1999 11:08:34
Message: <37207ee2.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 06:25:55 -0400, TonyB <ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:
>OK. Gotcha. =)

Don't get me wrong.  I was one of the first to seriously propose plugins, and
I even started doing some development work and sent a proposal about them to
the POV Team (required, because to distribute plugin code would be a violation
of POVLEGAL.)  I still think they're a good idea, but we need to come up with
a way to make them cross-platform.  If Java were as good as Sun would like to
believe it is, it would be the perfect choice, but at least for now it hasn't
lived up to its hype.  Nevertheless, I'm likely to start playing around with
some JNI stuff to make Java plugins.  Of course, as before, I would have to
get permission to distribute it, even to someone interested in building and
testing a port.  That could make development interesting.

>(How's the 3.1e superpatch coming along?)

I have it pretty much done.  I'm waiting for my documentation guy to get back
to me with the new stuff, and I'm kinda halfheartedly waiting for the 3.1e
Windows source to be released so I can build a version that's compatible with
the new editor DLLs.  If anyone wants source for the core 3.1e superpatch code
now, I can point them toward it, but it's not yet documented satisfactorily.

>(Why do you not mention it on your webpage?)

Lack of free time, mainly.  I want to completely overhaul my webpage, putting
a lot more emphasis on POV, but I haven't really had the time.  If you've ever
looked at parts besides traces.html, you'd see that the rest of it is even
crustier.  Parts of it haven't been updated in years.