POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : AWSOME ROLEX WATCH! : Re: AWSOME ROLEX WATCH! (debunking explanations) Server Time
18 Aug 2024 18:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWSOME ROLEX WATCH! (debunking explanations)
From: x web
Date: 23 Apr 1999 05:01:37
Message: <37202961.2F877AFF@acuris.com>
TonyB wrote:

> > ... and Nicholas' first ocean picture (and animation) looks right like
> > something Arete Image Software (of Titanic fame) could have done...
>
> How did you find the images of " Nicholas' " work?

First, it seemed very strange that someone unable to spell common words
("leik") could be able to produce high-end models and images requiring a
large amount of maths. Also, modelling waves is not what you expect from a
newbie.
His boasting and bragging were also strange for a professional (well...).
I first noticed the similitude of his "ocean" with the one from Arete Image
Software
(a company who specializes in "natural" digital SFX) but I didn't say
anything since
I could not find the "original" and prove it. His other ocean pictures seem
legit.
However, the Rolex was definitely too much, since the model
is sold by Acuris (with exactly the same hour, minutes and seconds ;
see my first post). Also, a Rolex 3D picture with the same
name as his (rolexfr.jpg) was published some time ago by a company
called wedo3D, that seems to be out of business. I couldn't trace
the picture, but my guess is that "Nicholas" just took the picture
and claimed it as his own.
Seems we all learnt a little lesson here, including me :(
All checking was done in Altavista and Lycos.