POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Announce: Update to Renderer Plugin : Re: AVI versus sequence of files Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AVI versus sequence of files
From: Dearmad
Date: 23 Apr 1999 02:10:57
Message: <372003B2.AFB9271B@noplace.nowhere>
Alexander Enzmann wrote:

> Maan M. Hamze wrote:
> >
> > Alexander
> > Would it be possible to give the user the choice between outputting into AVI
> > or a numbered sequence of DIB or TGA files?
> > ... (Many other good points about why numbered image files are good) ...
>
> It's a feature I just hadn't gotten to yet.  Another thing it's good for
> is when you want to rerender just a subset of the frames in an
> animation.  With an AVI it is just about impossible to change things in
> the middle of the stream.
>
> I will probably support TGA, PNG, and TIF output - these are both
> lossless and well supported formats (plus I already have code to do IO
> on them).
>
> Would it be better to have the output file type (e.g., TGA versus PNG)
> as part of the animation options, or should I just use what was set in

Animation options please... when working on a large project, I use still
output often in different formats than I need my animation-stills output
to be for various other tests.

> the Moray options?  Clearly the choice of AVI versus individual files
> has to be an animation option (until Moray has a little more native
> support for animation).
>
> Xander

Oh man, between BINK and this I'm about ready to hop off my damned
seat!!!  Need to finish my current (anim-hobby) project so I can start
seriously putting these two awesome tools through some stress tests!!!

Anyway, thank you so much for this effort, 'Xander, you're truly one of
the Arch-Magi!!

--
Stuff for POLYRAY, raytraced images,
and DTA can be found at: